Saturday, January 16, 2016

Jan 2016 Woodhaven gutter cleaning

Pastor Irelan reported that Woodhaven gutters were overflowing and running down doors and windows.  If not addressed that will lead to real property damage.  So I took a 12 aluminum ladder from the stage (there was a boy scout event going on, looked like an Eagle Scout award so I just told everyone I was working on a gutter merit badge and borrowed the ladder).  On the roof it was immediately obvious that all the gutters were either totally or partially blocked.  I had my big new leaf blower available but all the gutter debris was wet so it couldn't be blown and also, I had just seen a recall notice for my big new leaf blower at Orchard Supply Hardware.  Apparently the motor has a tendency to burst into flames.  I love the WGUMC but not enough to be a burnt offering so...it was time to put on the gloves and start hand raking the muck out.  There was a LOT of muck.
 










After cleaning the  first story gutters it was time to go after the seriously plugged second story gutters.  That needed a heavy 20 foot wood ladder from the Woodhaven garage.  Note to self, pump up the flat tire on the dolly.





Unfortunately when I got to the east wall I discovered that I couldn't actually deploy a 20 foot ladder by myself.  But I'm an engineer!  So I used the 12 foot ladder to get into a position where I could get leverage in the middle of the 20 foot ladder to deploy it.  Huzzah!  But it really is a two person operation.




On the east wall second floor gutters the downspout was really plugged. And even after cleaning the gutter the plugged downspout was just a little too far away to safely reach from the balcony.  I briefly thought about stepping on the guard rail and leaning way way over but then I would be a candidate for my own continuing Facebook series: why women live longer than men.  Fortunately some smart engineer (guess who!)  had repaired the front yard hose reel and put on a new nozzle with several settings, one of which was  JET!  Snake the hose out to the downspout, blast away for about a minute and the plug popped out the bottom of the spout.  Yea!


 






Trust me I'm an engineer, or as we say in Kentucky, hold my beer and watch this. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment